Moving can be very stressful, especially if you are moving to another country. There are plenty of things to do and take care of, many of which should be done early to avoid having to do everything at once.
One helpful idea is to make a checklist of all the things you need to accomplish before the move.
Below are some suggested things to do before you move to Canada:
- Apply for your Canadian visa, work or study permit in your home country;
- Ensure that your passport is valid;
- Collect and make copies of all your personal documentation including birth certificate, driver’s license, proof of qualifications etc.;
- Have medical, dental and optical check-ups and arrange for any prescribed medications from your doctor for 3 months;
- Purchase private medical insurance for the first 3 months in Canada;
- Save enough money to cover living expenses, such as rent, food, clothing and transportation, for up to 6 months;
- Look online for temporary accommodation for your arrival;
- Pack clothes for all weather conditions; cold, hot, rainy and snowy;
- Check customs, quarantine and security regulations and pack any items you wish to declare separately;
- Update your resume and collect work references;
- Research employment opportunities in your chosen field, and try to arrange interviews with potential employers;
- Look into having your foreign credentials recognized in Canada;
- Learn as much English or French as possible;
- Read and learn about Canada and your new community;
- Spend quality time with the family and friends that you will be leaving behind.