The more than 100 businesses now located in Atikokan find this environment an excellent source of reliable, skilled workers and services, which help to make them competitive in larger markets. Serviced and unserviced commercial property and industrial-zoned land is available and waiting for development. Water and sewage facilities are also able to meet the growth requirements of any business.
The Town of Atikokan Council and staff along with the Atikokan Economic Development Corporation Board and staff are working collaboratively on several initiatives to develop and enhance business opportunities in Atikokan.
The major advantages of doing business in Atikokan include:
- Location - strategically located along the Highway 11 corridor. Approximately 2 hours driving time from the City of Thunder Bay. Close proximity to the Manitoba border and the United States.
- Transportation – CNR, taxi, Seniors Handivan, Caribou Bus Lines, Iron Range Bus Lines and a Driver/Vehicle Registration and Examination Centre ensure mobility within the community and around the region.
- Public Utilities - Water, gas and other services basic to your business are readily available at competitive rates.
- Communications – Telephone, cell phone, high speed internet, radio, television (cable and satellite) and newspapers are available to keep you and your business connected.
- Labour - A skilled, stable, non-transient pool of available labour exists in the municipality.
- Available Serviced Lands - An abundance of serviced land exists close to Highway 11 for industrial and commercial development.
- Existing Facilities - Prime industrial, commercial and office facilities are available for sale or lease.
- Economic Development Services - The Atikokan Economic Development Corporation offers a multitude of resources and services to assist with your business location needs and to foster business development growth.
- Employment and Business Services – In addition to the Atikokan Economic Development Corporation, support services and resources are provided by the Atikokan Chamber of Commerce, Atikokan Employment Centre and Ministry of Northern Development, Mines and Forestry.
- Other Services – Whether it is a financial institution, an accountant, real estate agent or postal services, Atikokan offers the business services that your business will need to succeed.