Northwestern Ontario is an attractive region for retirees due to its high quality of life and the availability of excellent seniors care services.
Support services are widely provided for seniors as well as for their families and caregivers. Seniors care can be provided in the home or in alternative care settings such as seniors’ residences, hospitals and palliative care facilities. The goal of all seniors’ services is to help the aged live independently and with dignity for as long as possible. The North West Community Care Access Centre can connect you with the care you need, at home and in your community:
For general North West CCAC inquiries, contact them toll free at 310-2222 (CCAC) – no area code required.
Popular senior’s services include Home and Community Support Services as well as Residential Care such as:
- Long-term Care Homes – provide resident homes with nursing care, security, recreational opportunities and meals.
- Supportive Housing – offers independent living with access to support services when needed. This housing is often geared to income (subsidized).
- Retirement Homes – provide private accommodations for seniors to live in complexes with other people of similar age, lifestyle or interests.
- Meals on Wheels programs – prepare hot meals for elderly residents who are unable to cook for themselves.
- 55 Plus Centres - offer daily activities and social events on a drop-in basis.
- Home Maintenance Programs – volunteers provide seniors with essential home repairs and upkeep such as snow removal, yard work, major cleaning and minor repairs.